Life Night 411: I Saw the Signs
I SAW THE SIGNS - An Issue Night on Astrology
Dear Parents & Families,
Due to original sin, curiosity, and distrust of the future being a significant part of our fallen human nature, many people are drawn to the occult because it feels like a concrete, easy way to get answers and gain control of their future. That is not how we are called to live as Christians. Faith is not always that clear because we are called to trust rather than to “know.” Turning to astrology reflects an interior disposition of mistrust in God. As Christians, we are called to place unwavering faith in God and His plan for our lives.
The goal of our "I Saw The Signs" night is for teens to understand that the practice of astrology is rooted in the occult and poses a danger to their spiritual lives; they are meant to place their trust and hope for their futures in God alone. The conversation starters below will help you talk to your teen about the content they learned during the Life Night.
- Astrology has its roots in an occult practice of fortune-telling, which is a direct violation of the first commandment.
- In Scripture, we see God’s warning and ultimate destruction of the city of Babylon due to their practices of the occult, which reveals to us the actual danger of these practices.
- As children of God, we do not need to rely on astrology to guide us, but rather, we should wholeheartedly place our trust and hope in God to lead us to abundant life.
“And beware lest you lift up your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, you be drawn away and worship them and serve them, things which the Lord your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.” (Deuteronomy 4:19)
“All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead, or other practices falsely supposed to ‘unveil’ the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we
owe to God alone.” (CCC 2116)
• Why do you think astrology is so popular in today's culture?
• Do you have trouble trusting God with your life and future?
• How can we pray together as a family to build trust in God?
on Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 8:00PM